U.S. Associate: Pastor Daniel Packer
Country Coordinator: Pastor Dominique Rwamfizi
Number of Indigenous Team Members: 6
ITEM’s Involvement Since: 2009
# of pastors trained by ITEM:Growing
# of untrained pastors remaining: 14,000
Burundi is a mountainous, fertile country on the northeast shore of Lake Tanganyika, immediately south of its twin Rwanda. Occupying a space about the size of the state of Massachusetts, it is a country of multiple peoples (Hutu and Tutsi), multiple languages (Kirundi, French, and English), and a troubled history of colonial and political rule that kept the country unstable and underdeveloped.
A revival in the 1950s brought blessing and great church growth, but a generation later the land is physically, morally and spiritually devastated. Peace and reconciliation are needed among peoples (Hutu and Tutsi, ) who have spent centuries in conflict.
Over 90% of Burundi’s 10.5 million people identify as Christian, a quarter of which are Evangelicals (2.35 million). Leadership for the churches is in short supply; years of violence caused the closure of what few Bible schools the country had, which cut off the supply of trained leaders. Although schools are slowly being re-opened, poverty keeps most prospective students from enrolling.
Pray for Burundi:
- Pray that the spirits of enmity and vengeance that have plagued this country and these peoples for so long will be bound by the power of Christ.
- Pray for all peace-building work of groups such as the National Council of Churches, of World Vision and World Relief, Tearfund, African Enterprise, the Alpha Course and many others.
- Pray for local churches to be beacons of truth, love, and hope.
- Praise God for the depth, quality and maturity of ITEM’s indigenous trainers, and their eagerness to reach and train pastors throughout the country.
- Pray for pastors of the training team will continue to grow in Christ through their own study of Scripture and expository teaching in their congregations.
- Pray for open doors for training and mentoring, and the funds to support these opportunities.
- Pray for Dan (ITEM Associate) and Dominique (ITEM Coordinator) as they provide leadership and pastoral care to the training team. Pray for wisdom and strength for their tasks.